No matter what ails you, “stay hydrated” is one thing you’re sure to hear when your sick. Turns out, this isn’t just folk medicine; water can help you stave off illness and recover more quickly when you’ve been hit with a nasty cold or flu. Here are a few ways water can get you through those nasty illnesses:
- Water can strengthen your immune system. Your body relies on water to help flush out toxins; if you’re not getting enough of it, your immune system becomes compromised.
- Washing your hands is one of the easiest ways to prevent illness. The temperature doesn’t matter, simply wash your hands vigorously (up to your elbows, if possible) with soap and water several times a day. If the people around you are sick, wash your hands more often. Be sure to use your elbow or a paper towel to turn off the faucet to avoid recontaminating yourself.
- Drinking water can prevent dehydration when you’re sick. When we’re ill — particularly if a fever accompanies our illness — we tend to sweat more, leading to dehydration. This is one of the reasons medical professionals recommend getting plenty of fluids when you’re sick.
- Staying hydrated loosens mucus.That’s right … when you feel like you’ll never again be able to breathe through your nose, try water to relieve your congestion. For extra relief, try hot water or herbal tea, as the steam will help you breathe easier, faster.
- Gargling with salt water can help ease a sore throat. Dissolve a ½ teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water and gently gargle several times a day. Doing so will reduce swelling and help flush out the irritants and bacteria that hang out in the back of your throat.
- Brushing your teeth and tongue can help rid your mouth of bacteria, as well. The temperature in the back of your mouth creates the perfect environment for germs. Brushing at least twice a day can cut back on the bacteria that causes disease. Remember change your toothbrush after an illness to avoid recontamination.
Water is essential to living your healthiest life — no matter what the season. To ensure that the water supply you use is not only clean, but great-tasting, as well, try the SpringWell Whole House Water Filtration System. Good health is just one of the benefits of having a clean water source.